Friday, August 27, 2004

The non-spammer who cried "Lamb!"

Recently, I was faced with the need to write a subject heading for an e-mail that would come across as a legitimate message rather than as an unwanted piece of luncheon meat. I was not sure that the recipient would know my name, so a decision as to whether to open the message might be based largely on this subject heading.

It never occurred to me before attempting this task how difficult it would be. Spammers--just like I--have a compelling interest in using a subject that will get people to read.

I did the best I could to come up with a legitimate sounding--and intriguing at the same time--subject. A few days later, when I asked my sister how likely she would expect a message with this subject to be spam did I get the bad news: "Definitely!"

No comments: